Articles of Incorporation for Business and Non-Profit Corporations
For Private Corporations and Non Profit Corporations
The document must be:
- Executed by one of the offices authorized in KRS271B.1-200(6) and KRS273.252.
- Document must be filed with the Secretary of State FIRST.
- The clerk is presented one exact or conformed copy having the stamp of the Secretary of State.
Pages exceeding 3 pages cost $3.00 per page.
- AKA (Also Known As)
- DBA (Doing Business As)
- Fictitious Name Filing
The document must have:
- The name being assumed.
- The real name and address of the individual or entity assuming the name. A domestic general partnership must include the real name of each partner.
- The document must be filed in county where the entity is deemed a resident under provisions of KRS355 (see KRS355.401 for specific requirements).
- Assumed names may or may not have a Preparation Statement (KRS 382.335).
The document must be executed as follows:
- Individual - by the individual.
- Partnership - by at least one authorized partner.
- Limited liability partnership - by at least one partner authorized to do so by the partners.
- Limited partnership - by a general partner.
- Limited liability company - by a member or manager authorized to act for the limited liability company.
- Business trust - by the trustees.
- Corporation - by a person authorized to act for the corporation.
Assumed Name Renewals
Assumed names are effective for 5 years from the date of registration and can be renewed by filing a renewal certificate 6 months prior to the expiration or renewal date. The filing requirements are the same as for the original.
Assumed Name Withdrawal
Assumed name withdrawals are done in a similar manner per KRS365.015, section 4 with the additional information of "date the original was filed" as a requirement.
Declaration of Trust
The document must have the following:
- The individual(s) who is establishing the trust.
- The name of the trust and/or the trustee.
- The Trustee(s) Preparation Statement.
- The clerk shall request a return mail address.
- The document may or may not be notarized.
The statute does not provide for a fee for extra pages.
Partnership agreements or certificates are filed with the Secretary of State first, then with county clerk.
The document must have:
- The stamp from the Secretary of State on it in order to be filed at the county level.
- The person presenting the partnership to the Secretary of State should present two copies--one is filed there and one stamped as having been filed.
- This copy is then recorded at the County Clerk's office in the county where the partnership maintains an office.
Pages exceeding 3 pages will cost $3.00 per page.